Do I Qualify for Bariatric Surgery?
With Dr. Alibhai’s training in minimally invasive and robotic surgery, he performs a wide range of general surgical procedures as well including:
- Robotic Gallbladder surgery
- Robotic hernia surgery
- Acid Reflux surgery
Mustafa H. Alibhai,MD,FACS,FASMBS
Most patients who struggle with obesity are unable to maintain weight loss with lifestyle modification through diet and exercise programs alone. Surgery may be the best treatment option for these individuals.
You may qualify for bariatric surgery if you meet the following criteria:
- You are more than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight
- You have a body mass index over 40
- You have a body mass index over 35 and you have an obesity related health condition
- You are unable to keep a healthy weight for a sustained period of time even after undergoing medically supervised weight loss
Obesity is known to cause many other medical problems. These are known as “obesity related health conditions.” You may qualify for bariatric surgery if your health is negatively impacted by one of the conditions below.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Lower back pain and degenerative disk disease
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Bariatric Surgery Options at Nova Bariatrics
Having trouble deciding which surgical option to go with? We are here to provide you with all the information you need to know about bariatric surgery in order to determine which weight loss surgery is best for YOU and your weight loss goals.
Nova Bariatrics provides the following surgical options below. Please see each procedure on our website for more detailed information.
Duodenal Switch (DS)
SADI (Loop Single Anastomosis Duodenal Ileal Bypass)
Revision Bariatric Surgery