How Probiotics Aid in Weight Loss
- Everything You Need to Know about Robotic Hernia Surgery
- Considering Robotic Anti-Reflux Surgery? Here’s What You Should Know
- We’re Proud to Launch Our Nova Bariatrics Minimally Invasive Surgery Store!
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens? Here’s What You Need to Know
- 8 Fitness Tips for Exercising at Home without Equipment
What are probiotics?
They perform several vital functions such as digesting nutrients in food, preventing the growth of disease-causing bacteria, maintaining the digestive floral balance, and strengthening immunity.
In terms of the roles of probiotics for weight loss, actually, there have been quite many studies supporting their positive effects on weight loss. Not in the sense that taking probiotics will cause you to lose pounds overnight, but it may help make your weight loss effects more efficient and sustainable.
What does science say about Probiotics?
- Aiding digestion of food
- Promoting the health and maintenance of cells that line your gut
- Supporting immunity to keep you from getting sick
- Creating vitamins
- Managing inflammation
- Absorbing medications
- Reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels
How probiotics affect weight
1. Improved energy and metabolismAlthough there is a need for more research on the subject, experts agree that probiotics play a role in improved metabolism. Studies suggest that probiotics may balance the bacteria in your gut microbiome, thus affecting your appetite and food intake. This then leads to weight loss and reduced waist circumference.
2. Controlled appetite and satietyResearchers have found that obese men and women who take probiotic supplements experience less hunger and a lowered desire to eat and greater satiety. Probiotics have a role to play in suppressing your appetite and helping to decrease overeating. There’s also evidence that bad bacteria can contribute to an unhealthy and imbalanced microbiome which can turn your hunger pangs on and off. You’ll then likely have constant cravings for unhealthy foods like sugary snacks for example. On the other hand, if your microbiome is well-balanced with the support of probiotics, your cravings for unhealthy food are likely to be reduced.
3. Reduce inflammation from a leaky gutThe gut is a very common source of inflammation. Probiotics have been shown to play an important role in the fight against inflammation which can be a precursor to countless health issues including allergies, fatigue, autoimmune disorders, etc.