How To Order Healthy Choices From A Restaurant in 8 Steps
- Everything You Need to Know about Robotic Hernia Surgery
- Considering Robotic Anti-Reflux Surgery? Here’s What You Should Know
- We’re Proud to Launch Our Nova Bariatrics Minimally Invasive Surgery Store!
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens? Here’s What You Need to Know
- 8 Fitness Tips for Exercising at Home without Equipment
How To Order Healthy Choices From A Restaurant in 7 Steps
Step 1. Preview the menu ahead of time
Step 2. Look for whole foods
|WHOLE FOOD VERSION||PROCESSED VERSION|
|Grilled chicken breast||Cream of chicken soup|
|Blackened salmon||Salmon burger patties|
|Fajita Steak||Ground beef burger|
Step 3. Pass on the bread
Step 4. Skip the fried foods
Deep fried foods are high in calories and trans fat. As if the cooking process of immersing food in oil isn’t bad enough, most items are coated in batters made of flour, eggs, beer or heavy cream before they’re fried. Be aware that some restaurants cook items that would ordinarily be healthy by deep frying them. Healthy choices like broccoli or brussel sprouts have lower nutrient density if they are deep fried. When in doubt about any item on the menu, ask your server for details on how it’s prepared.
Eat healthy at home too! Check out our 10 Diet Hacks for Eating Healthy on a Tight Budget to learn how to do it without overspending.
Step 5. Ask for “skinny” alternatives
Step 6. Order lunch portions - even at dinner time
- 3- 4 ounces of meat is approximately the size of a deck of cards
- 1 cup of cooked rice or pasta is the size of a tennis ball
- 2 tablespoons of salad dressing is roughly the size of a golf ball
- 1 cup of just about anything is around the size of a woman’s fist
Step 7. Split your meal in half
This is another way to control your portions, especially if the lunch menu is off limits. Whether you order the full or lunch size of your meal, be mindful of how much is on your plate. Using the tips to visualize serving size above, cut your portions down to the right size. This is the easiest way to avoid the temptation to eat everything on your plate. Ask your server to bring out a to-go box with your meal. As soon as your food arrives, transfer the excess food to a to-go container and save it for your next meals.
At Nova Bariatrics and Minimally-Invasive Surgery, we understand that weight loss and healthy living can be a daily struggle for many. Our team at NOVA works with each patient individually to find the appropriate solution for weight loss and restoration of one’s health.