What is Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Everything You Need to Know about Robotic Hernia Surgery
- Considering Robotic Anti-Reflux Surgery? Here’s What You Should Know
- We’re Proud to Launch Our Nova Bariatrics Minimally Invasive Surgery Store!
- Weight-Loss Surgery for Teens? Here’s What You Need to Know
- 8 Fitness Tips for Exercising at Home without Equipment
What is Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Weight loss surgery is a very effective way of treating weight loss patients with obesity. One of the surgeries is sleeve gastrectomy. Weight loss after sleeve gastrectomy can help you restore your health and fitness while remarkably improving your aesthetic appearance and well-being at the same time. Hundreds of patients suffering from obesity are visiting Irving and Arlington, TX every year for sleeve gastrectomy to achieve their desired goals. Sleeve gastrectomy is an excellent option for those who struggle with excess weight and aren’t able to be successful with traditional methods of diet and exercise. Often called the gastric sleeve surgery, it is a surgical procedure that induces weight loss by restricting food intake. It can help people reduce their total body weight to approximately 20%. It is designed to help obese individuals lose weight by significantly reducing the capacity of the stomach by about 75%, leaving only the inner or “lesser” curve of the stomach. This results in a new stomach pouch resembling a banana. This new stomach can hold much less food but will still continue to function normally.
The procedure does not involve any intestinal surgery and nothing is placed in or around the stomach. The most notable and immediate impact of this surgery is the removal of the portion of the stomach that secretes hormones to stimulate hunger and the major enhancement in satiety (that feeling of fullness) even with less food intake, which further aids in weight loss. Sleeve gastrectomy does not require repositioning of the intestines and does not involve any devices, and is widely regarded as a safe and effective surgery.
What Can Sleeve Gastrectomy Help Cure
Weight loss surgery can improve or resolve many health issues. It is recommended for people who suffer from obesity and serious obesity-related health problems such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, coronary heart disease or severe sleep apnea. Other candidates for this surgery are those with BMI of 40 or higher. People who are fit enough to have a general anesthetic and surgery are also eligible for sleeve gastrectomy. Before surgery is conducted, patients usually undergo several months of assessment and education to ensure that surgery is suitable for them.
How Sleep Gastrectomy Helps with Weight Reduction
Your life span is likely to get enriched following weight loss surgery because the procedure will help alleviate the symptoms of chronic obesity-related conditions. You will also have more control over your own life, wear the clothes you like and gain self-confidence at a social and professional level. It’s important to note that this procedure does not inhibit your ability to absorb nutrients from food. There is no intestinal bypass involved in the procedure so you won’t have to add a lot of supplement pills to your diet. This is one of the advantages of this specific weight loss procedure.
What are the Advantages of sleeve gastrectomy on gastric sleeve
- You can still eat most foods after your surgery, as long as they don’t cause you discomfort. It will take much less food to make you feel full since the surgery makes your stomach smaller. Additionally, your stomach will only be able to handle small amounts of food so it is important that you include foods that are rich in protein, but low in fat and sugar. It is recommended that you eat vegetables, fruit, whole grains, lean meat, and fish. You must be committed to losing weight and maintaining your weight loss by eating healthy and exercising. In other words, you have to undergo drastic lifestyle changes or you’ll risk stretching out your stomach. Weight loss surgery is a rigorous process and only begins with surgery but if you apply the necessary lifestyle changes as part of your daily routine and stay consistent, nothing will stop you from reaching your weight loss goals.
- There is no risk of marginal ulcer. The procedure also features a lower risk of intestinal obstruction. Dumping syndrome (uncomfortable symptoms, such as nausea or abdominal cramping, which occur as a result of food moving too quickly through the small intestine) typically does not occur or is minimized.
- As with any surgery, there are possible risks involved such as nausea, bleeding, and infection. Sleeve gastrectomy patients will have to supplement their diet with a multivitamin, and other vitamins as necessary. The risk of nutritional deficiencies is much lower than with a combination of restrictive and malabsorptive procedures. That’s why it’s crucial that you stay informed before and after the procedure.
How can you start the procedure
Our advice is to choose your weight loss surgery provider very carefully to make sure you can trust them in all situations. If you are looking for weight loss surgery in Irving and Arlington, TX, look no further than Nova Bariatrics and Minimally Invasive Surgery. Our Irving and Arlington teams at Nova Bariatrics have an excellent success rate with sleeve gastrectomy surgeries. If you feel like you are a candidate for gastric sleeve surgery in Dallas, schedule an initial consultation with Nova Bariatrics and Minimally Invasive Surgery today. During your consultation, our Irving and Arlington doctors will go over your medical history, discuss all of the bariatric surgery options to help you find the perfect procedure for your specific needs, answer any questions, and address any concerns you might have.