Are you looking for ways to deal with obesity that are not paying heed to your exercise or diet? We have the solution for you – Duodenal Switch surgery! It has an impeccable 80% success rate of weight loss within the span of 2 years, making it one of the most effective weight-loss procedures available. But with such a massive outcome, you must be thinking about how long a duodenal switch surgery lasts. Fortunately, this life-altering surgery lasts between 2-3 hours only!
How Long Does a Duodenal Switch Surgery Take?
It is an inpatient, laparoscopic, minimally invasive surgery taking nothing more than 2 to 3 hours to complete. A surgeon works with instruments along with a camera, which is inserted through small incisions made in the abdomen. The procedure is meant to modify your stomach and small intestine. This is done in order to achieve weight loss with the help of food restriction and malabsorption.
How Long Is The Recovery Time After Duodenal Switch Surgery?
Although a less-invasive surgery, expect the recovery time after the duodenal switch surgery to be at least 3-6 weeks with 2-3 days in the hospital itself. One can generally return to work after 2 weeks, but absolute recovery needs around 6 weeks.
As far as your eating habits are concerned, expect your stomach to be sensitive at first. This is why you will need to start a liquid diet and slowly transition your way back to solid foods.
According to The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, patients should increase their intake of supplements after their Duodenal Switch surgery to cope with nutritional deficiencies. Therefore, vitamins like A, D, E, and K should be a major part of your supplements.
Other than that, patients need to implement a restricted diet post-procedure and keep up with a regular exercise routine as part of their day.
What works best is to have a high-protein diet in the form of tiny meals with all food groups, including fruits, veggies, whole grains, and omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, avoid sugar as much as possible for a healthy life ahead.
Advantages of This Surgery
The duodenal switch surgery offers many advantages.
- One of the Treatments for Type 2 Diabetes: This surgery has proven to help 94% of patients with type 2 diabetes lose more than 70% of their excess weight.
- Average Percent Excess Weight Loss: The average of excess weight loss for patients undergoing duodenal switch surgery is 70-80%.
- You Feel Less Hunger and More Fullness after Eating: You can expect to have a reduction in the size of your stomach, so you will feel full sooner while eating. The smaller stomach also ensures that fewer “hunger-causing” hormones are released.
- No restrictions on food types: You might think there will be a lot of no-no’s after this, but there are no restrictions on the types of foods that can be eaten. Include all healthy food groups in moderation.
- Improved metabolic syndromes: It improves metabolic syndromes like high blood pressure, OBS – obstructive sleep apnea, and high cholesterol.
In a nutshell, if you are about to undergo a duodenal switch surgery, expect it to last for about 2-3 hours. Along with that, it takes your body 6 weeks approximately to fully heal. If you have more questions, feel free to consult Dr. Mustafa H. Alibhai, a board-certified general surgeon at our facility, who has a fellowship from Bariatric Medical Institute (San Antonio, TX) at Nova Bariatrics and Minimally Invasive Surgery for this. Dial (469) 639-0953 to talk to us.