BPD / DS is a intricate weight-loss surgical procedure that restrains the ability to absorb calories, vitamins and minerals. With the duodenal switch, you will lose more weight than the gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy. Typically healthcare providers may suggest the BPD / DS to severely obese people. Such people typically have a 50 or greater body mass index (BMI), or a 40 or greater BMI with extreme type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems.
The Duodenal switch procedure produces around a loss of about 85-100% of excess weight. This means that a patient would be able to lose 150 pounds or more and is also able to maintain that state over many years.
With Dr. Alibhai’s training in minimally invasive and robotic surgery, he performs a wide range of general surgical procedures as well including:
- Robotic Gallbladder surgery
- Robotic hernia surgery
- Acid Reflux surgery
Mustafa H. Alibhai,MD,FACS,FASMBS
Side Effects & Risks
Side Effects/ Risks:
- Calcium/ Iron deficiencies
- Internal bleeding
Advantages of this procedure are that,
- Better than both Gastric bypass procedure/ Gastric sleeve
- Reduces the amount of fat that body will absorb
- Controls long term diabetes
- Reduces weight and also maintains the weight
- First the Duodenal switch procedure is performed with a sleeve
- This includes a stapling instrument where a significant portion of the stomach is removed, leaving a tiny tube, or sleeve from the top neat the bottom of the stomach. With less filling in your stomach, the patient will feel a sense of fullness much faster and consume less
- Next the procedure entails rerouting the food away from the upper part of the small intestine, this affects the common pathway of food Because the small intestine is separated and connected to the end of the small intestine, this effects the amount of absorption of nutrients and calories.
- Lastly the Duodenal switch procedure changes the way that bile and digestive juices are broken down. The procedure causes more weight loss because of the decrease in calories